Call for Instagram photo submissions: Seasonal Changes!

The LTER Grad Student Committee invites everyone (but especially graduate students!) to submit photos to showcase on our @lter_community instagram account! We are looking for photos for our next month’s theme: “Seasonal changes,” 3-4 picture series showing your site through the seasons.

You can submit photos by uploading them straight to this thread, messaging them to me here on Discourse, or by emailing them me at Moriah Young at youngmor@msu.edu. Please include a title or brief description of your photo, who you are, and any contact info you wish to provide. If you’d like us to tag you, please include your Instagram handle as well. Thank you!!

2 Likes

The seasons of the Florida Coastal Everglades are “Wet” and “Dry”. In the Everglades’ shallow coastal marshes, this leads to massive differences for the periphyton (the white fluffy / crusty algae) that dominates the landscape. These photos were taken in the same place, at the same height, in August (rainy season) and January (dry season). In the wet season, periphyton grows to cover nearly every underwater surface; in the dry season, the water level drops over a foot, and the periphyton becomes a crusty layer that helps retain moisture in the soil below. When the water comes back, these algae do an amazing job of re-hydrating and coming right back to life!

Photo credit: Tommy Shannon (@wow_small_world). FCE-LTER

(I’ve included 4 photos, but if you want to just choose 2, that’s fine).

1 Like